Friday, July 4, 2008

Najib: Anwar's accuser confided in me

2008/07/04
Najib: Anwar's accuser confided in me

KUALA LUMPUR: Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan had confided in Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak that Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim had sodomised him.

The admission was made at the deputy prime minister's home just days before Saiful lodged the explosive report against the de facto Parti Keadilan Rakyat leader.

Najib revealed Mohd Saiful's confession yesterday, while stressing there was no conspiracy against Anwar.

"At first, I doubted his (Mohd Saiful's) story. I was sceptical and unsure whether there was any basis to the allegation," Najib said, adding that he left it to Mohd Saiful to decide what to do.

Asked why Mohd Saiful went to see him, the deputy prime minister said he thought the former student leader needed his help.

"I suppose he needed help and he knows one of my officers." (Mohd Saiful had earlier met one of Najib's officers to obtain a government scholarship.)

Asked whether he thought Mohd Saiful's claims had any basis, Najib said Mohd Saiful looked traumatised.

"He looked genuine. He was in fear and his hands were seram sejuk (cold) but I dared not make any conclusion.

"I said he should decide himself after he told me everything."

He said he allowed Mohd Saiful into his house in his capacity as a leader.

"He came to my house because he needed help. I'm saying this because there's never been a conspiracy. He came seeking help. I never knew him before."

Najib denied that he advised Saiful to lodge a police report.

Asked whether he would be prepared to give his statement, Najib said Mohd Saiful's statement was more important.

Asked whether the inspector-general of police and the attorney-general should stay out of the investigation, Najib said: "Only if it concerns their own personal positions but they must continue their work as they are heads of enforcement agencies."

Mohd Saiful, 23, lodged a police report on Saturday alleging that he was sodomised by Anwar. The alleged incident took place at the Desa Damansara Condominium here.

No comments: