Saturday, August 2, 2008

All she wanted was justice

All she wanted was justice


By Adib Zalkapli

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 1 — All she ever wanted was justice for her husband but Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail ended up as Parliamentary opposition leader, the first woman to do so.

Along the way, the eye doctor housewife earned the respect of other politicians and became as popular as her charismatic spouse Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

The Permatang Pauh MP, who quit yesterday for Anwar to contest in his old seat is also tougher now to deal with the second round of sodomy allegations blighting the former deputy prime minister.

"It shouldn't happen. They have taken six years of not only Anwar's life, but our lives too," Wan Azizah told The Malaysian Insider today, referring to her close-knit family of six.

Despite Anwar facing imminent arrest, the tiny tudung-clad but feisty woman was her usual self, smiling at every question thrown at her and consistently speaking softly, a trait not most politicians possess.

She admitted that she never planned to be a politician.

"It wasn't my decision, it was decided for me," she said, referring to discussions in the 18 days in 1998 when Anwar toured the country to plead his case before being arrested.

" I think they just turned around and saw me," she added.

Anwar then announced at a rally, that should anything happen to him, his wife would take over.

"But, I think probably I also had the image that is not tainted, as a wife of a minister and the deputy prime minister, I don't think there were stories about me, I am pretty much clean," she said relating the event on how she became an accidental politician.

She was also confused with what happened in 1998, especially when her daughter, Nurul Izzah, went to Indonesia and the Philippines to present her father's case.

"She was 17, she is my first born daughter all I heard was suddenly she was out of the country, it wasn't told to me where she was going and what she was going to do. As a mother, I felt I should be protecting her, instead of risking her to go overseas or wherever. But Alhamdulillah it turned out alright, and I trust the people and friends who brought her.

"I suddenly found out she was not at home and was overseas, as a mother I felt worried, I was already worried about her father, I have to worry about her, that's how I felt, it was a bit difficult emotionally, but after that I accepted it."

Wan Azizah also hoped that her constituents in Permatang Pauh, would accept her decision to resign as their former representative for 17 years was making his comeback.

She was confident her husband would easily win the seat.

"When I contested the first time, they knew it was because Anwar was in prison, and when I contested the second time too because of the same reason. And in 2008, Anwar couldn't contest," she added.

Wan Azizah disclosed that during the March 8 campaigning she had already informed her voters of her intention to resign to allow her husband to contest in a by-election.

Her family members too accepted her decision to resign, she said, admitting since she missed her life as a housewife since becaming a full time politician.

"I wasn't really a fulltime housewife, I was also a patron of many societies, doing charity and voluntary work and I enjoy that, sometimes of course I miss it, because I like simple life," said Wan Azizah.

But she will also miss her life as a Member of Parliament. For her, it was very enjoyable to be able to speak up for the people.

That all ended yesterday without much regrets as she had achieved what she had set out to do - get justice.

No comments: