Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Politician threatened me with gun, says director

Politician threatened me with gun, says director

May 07, 2008

NST

ALOR GAJAH, MALAYSIA: Feeling slighted at not being invited to a gotong-royong, a politician allegedly threatened a company director who organised the event with a pistol.

The company director, 42, who is also involved in politics, claimed the incident took place at the politician's office at 11.45am on Sunday when the company director went to meet him.

The gotong-royong was held on Saturday.

"All I wanted to do was explain why I did not invite him for the gotong-royong.

"As I stepped into his office I was hurled with abusive words and chased out of the office.

"He claimed that I had sidelined him and did not respect him.

"I refused to leave his office as I wanted to explain that I had sent an SMS notifying him of the event.

"But the angry politician reached for his waist, moved the bottom of his shirt aside and showed me a grey coloured pistol.

"He raised his voice and told me 'Kau nampak tak pistol ni!' (Can you see this pistol)" alleged the company director, yesterday.

The company director said he was afraid for his safety and bolted from the office.

"I was afraid, but I lodged a police report on Sunday evening."

The company director claimed that the incident frightened him so much that he was disturbed, and it affected his work.

"I have not gone to my office for two days. I am not only worried for myself but also for my family.

" I want the authorities to investigate this as it is a serious offence. I do not want anything like this to happen to anyone else."

Alor Gajah district police chief Superintendent Umar Ali Saifuddin Shaharuddin confirmed that a police report was lodged against the politician, who is a datuk.

"We are investigating the case under Section 506 of the Penal Code for criminal intimidation by using a dangerous weapon which carries a jail term of up to seven years or a fine or both," he said. He declined to elaborate.

Meanwhile, police sources said the politician has a licence to carry the firearm and police had confiscated the weapon. -NST

No comments: