Friday, May 23, 2008

Negri MB challenges critics to report allegations

Friday May 23, 2008 MYT 2:55:30 PM

Negri MB challenges critics to report allegations

By SARBAN SINGH

SEREMBAN: Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan on Friday challenged his critics to report allegations of power abuse by him to the Anti Corruption Agency.

Mohamad said he was growing tired of talk that he had been giving away contracts to his siblings and friends since being appointed Mentri Besar.

"Just to let you know, I gave each of my brothers a bungalow and a Mercedez before I was appointed Mentri Besar. Please do not insult me by saying that I deliberately gave my siblings contracts to enrich myself," he said.

Mohamad, who was Cycle and Carriage chief executive officer before being appointed Mentri Besar, said he had enough money to live a comfortable life and that he led a simple lifestyle.

"You can send auditors to check the contracts that had been given out. I do not need that kind of money. I am getting tired of all these allegations but some people have gone overboard," he said when opening the state level council of former MPs and assemblymen (Mubarak) annual general meeting here.

Mohamad also clarified allegations by certain quarters that the timber concession at Bukit Galla was given to a company run by his brothers.

Elaborating, he said the previous state government had in the year 2000 given the concession to the Mentri Besar Incorporated to extract timber from the 800ha area.

"In 2003, the same land was given to another company. This caused many to be unhappy.

"The state government then held talks with both parties for a solution to avoid being taken to court. I don't see what my brothers and I have to do with the logging activities there," he said. (Mohamad was first appointed Mentri Besar in 2004).

He said certain quarters also questioned the state government's decision to lease a 1,400ha piece of land in Jempol to the Negri Sembilan Foundation (YNS).

"Previously, the state government used to give huge tracts of land to YNS to allow it to develop it on a joint venture basis with the private sector.

"Sadly, these ventures did not work out and the state government ended up losing the land as well," he said, adding that YNS would only have to pay a minimal sum for the lease to the Jempol Land and Mines department.

He said YNS would not have to fork out much money for such ventures but it would receive 30 per cent of the proceeds from the sale of palm oil from the fifth year to the ninth year.

"This will go up to 70 per cent after that. YNS will be able to use the money to give out study loans to needy students without having to worry much about their source of income," he said.

Mohamad said he was also accused of power abuse when the state government agreed to lease 1,200ha of land in Gemencheh to the state Islamic Affairs Council to grow oil palm as well.

"The state government has leased the land to the council for 25 years but yet some said I gave the project to my brothers. It is my hope that those who unnecessarily criticised my administration would stop doing so," he said.

No comments: